Saturday, January 16, 2010

New Section: Workshop

I want to start a 'workshop' section where I talk about my doll customizing. ^^

So I'll start out here with the wings I'm working on (still) for my
Dollshe Van "angel", Uriel. They are now attached to armatures used for animation. instead of wire. I tried using 10 awg wire, but the wire broke from too much bending. By using armatures they're stronger and bend so much better.

Work in Progress...

Armatures for wings:

The 2nd photo is the armature piece that will house the receiving magnet (which is glued to the doll's back). I 'nixed the idea of arm loopholes to hold on the wings as they were hindering the doll's joint movement in the shoulder. The wings were too heavy and the loopholes were being pulled inside the doll's body.

By simply attaching the wings magnetically, they can be attached through clothing and can be removed at will for posing and then re-attaching. Also, this will be more convenient for traveling with the doll by not having the wings tied on in any way. I believe the strength of the magnets will be more than enough to go through several layers of clothing.
Magnets are all attached (they glued wonderfully!). My test was successful and the wings stay on great! Now to finalize the wings by covering the armature with more feathers. Pix to come of the wings attached to the body...


Kirsikka said...

Hey, thank you for this very informative post! I've been thinking about building a pair of wings myself, but I haven't quite figured out how to do it. This helped me a lot.

Christy said...

Glad to hear it! I found out there was a lot more research involved than I ever thought there'd be, initially.

Eevee said...

Wow, this is amazing. Can't wait to see the finished product!

zootopia said...